One-To-One Ministry By a Trained Caring Friend
What is a Stephen's Minister?
- A Child of God who walks beside a hurting person.
- A caring Christian friend that really listens.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours in training on how to provide distinctively Christian Care.
Care Receivers are congregation members and others in the community—who receive care from a Stephen Minister. These are people struggling through a difficult time in life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
Some important guidelines for this caring relationship protect both the care receiver and the Stephen Minister:
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.